Originally Posted By: Capo de La Cosa Nostra
...if Claude Rains was able to delight and compliment Bogey in Casablanca, Robinson tends to overpower him here (effectively and deliberately so)

Speaking of Claude Rains, I become a bigger fan of his with each & every of his films that I see. One of the greatest character actors of all time. Delightful as he is in Casablanca, Rains is also incredible as that evil wuss in 'Notorious', again as exquisetely complimenting Ingrid Bergman and Cary Grant as he did Bogie. He also worked beautifully with Bette Davis in films such as 'Now Voyager' and 'Mrs. Skeffington'. (Side note: Bette Davis once claimed that despite the debonairre screen persona, Mr. Rains was often 'quite randy' ;)). I urge all you TCM fans to see his films any chance you get!

Originally Posted By: Capo de La Cosa Nostra
check him out in Wilder's masterpiece (and with it, the best film of the 1940s), Double Indemnity.

I agree about 'Double Indemnity'...one of my absolute all-time favorites. Robinson is great and you truly feel for him in those classic final moments of the film. Billy Wilder is one of the all-time greatest directors. Another of his best you might want to check out is 'Stalag 17', for which Bill Holden earned the Best Actor Oscar of 1953. No 'chick factor' present in this movie, it's simply brilliant entertainment...especially the last 45 minutes (although I always love the scene where Otto Preminger is on the phone to Berlin).

Fun thread, Ice...hope it goes on for ages!!

Apple

A wise and frugal government, which shall leave men free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor the bread it has earned - this is the sum of good government.

- THOMAS JEFFERSON