Quote:
PORTER COUNTY | A pit stop at the side of the interstate early Wednesday morning ended with a Valparaiso couple being sent to the Porter County Jail.

At 2:43 a.m., Indiana State Police Trooper Glen Fifield was sitting stationary, running radar, on the inner shoulder of westbound on I-94 at the 20 mile marker just east of State Road 149 when a red 1999 Honda Civic pulled onto the outer shoulder directly across from him. Police said Fifield watched as the male occupant got out of vehicle and allegedly began to relieve himself on the side of the road.

Fifield proceeded to put his spot light on the individual, later identified as Scott Varnes, 48, of Valparaiso, police said.

Varnes' wife, Rachel Varnes, 32, also of Valparaiso, was allegedly driving the car. The couple allegedly told Fifield that Scott Varnes got out of the car because its check engine light was on.

When asked if they did not see the fully marked police car sitting directly across from them, Scott Varnes allegedly told Fifield, "We're not trained to look for police officers."

Rachel Varnes was arrested for operating while intoxicated, a Class C misdemeanor, and taken to Porter County Jail.

Scott Varnes was arrested for public nudity, a Class C misdemeanor, and public intoxication, a Class B misdemeanor. He, too, was taken to the Porter County Jail.

Last edited by Longneck; 04/02/08 05:04 PM.

Long as I remember The rain been coming down.
Clouds of Mystery pouring Confusion on the ground.
Good men through the ages, Trying to find the sun;
And I wonder, Still I wonder, Who'll stop the rain.