City Island? Where's that?

We had this great seafood buffet near us when we first got married, but it was a bit pricey ($28 pp in the late 1980s was expensive) and we only used to go once or twice a year. They had a raw bar, shrimp cocktail, tons of seafood salads, fried fish, and all the steamed lobster you could eat. Plus, a fantastic dessert table, including make your own sundaes.

We went there once with my brother and his wife. My brother had recently gained some weight and couldn't fit into a suit. He found an old navy blue sports jacket with red stitching in the back of his closet, so all night long we called him Captain Kangaroo. Anyway, we sat there through two seatings. All we did was point to other people while we were stuffing our faces, and talk about how much food they were taking from the buffet. I think I ate two and a half lobsters.

We tried to make another reservation a few months later, and they told us that they had discontinued the buffet. I thought Mr. Babe was going to cry. We told my brother that they said that some big fat guy in a Captain Kangaroo jacket put them out of business.

President Emeritus of the Neal Pulcawer Fan Club