One of the reasons why I like the book too is because it talks about how Vito became powerful, and it covers more of the family details. However, I think it's because of the movie that I like the book as much as I do.

If I take the book just for the book, I don't think it is as good as it is. While reading the book, it seemed less personal and less mythical.

I think the movie enhances the greatness of the book.

In the book, to me, Michael was a little different. He was more outspoken (like talking back at Sonny when Sonny teased him about his plan of killing McKluskey and Sollozzo). He was more rebellious than his silent rebellious nature in the movie.

To me Vito was more a Mafia chief than a Godfather, in the book. In the movie, he seemed more of a Godfather than just a Mafia chief.

What I'm trying to say is that, to me, the book lacks something that the movie has. And, I wanted to know how those who read the book before the movie liked the book. That is, to separate the book from the movie and just take the book for the book.

I like the book if I take the movie along with it. I don't like the book as much if I read the book without having the movie visuals in my head.

But, I agree....the book is really good.

-A Streetcar Named Desire-

Stanley: You want a shot? (offers liquor)
Blanche: No, I rarely touch it.
Stanley: There's some people that rarely touch it, but it touches them often.