This is my first post as I have just joined this board.

One thing that I always wondered is the book or movie better? I know this has been asked many times.

However, I'd like for those who read the book before the movie to post their pick and why.

I have seen many say they like the book better than the movie, but most of them saw the movie first. That is where I think the dilemma (not like it's a bad one) is.

I feel that seeing the movie first, then reading the book makes the book seem better than the movie. And I'll give you my reasons. When I read the book after watching the movies numerous times, I could not help but see Brando, Pacino, Duvall, Caan, etc, and see their gestures and facial expressions. I could not help imagining the characters as how they were in the movie.

In reading the book, I noticed that Vito was a little bit more intimidating and a headstrong figure. I did not really feal any sympathy or have admiration for him. To me, he was another Mafia chief. But, all the while, Brando's way of making you see Vito as a lovable man subconsciously leaks into my mind as I read.

Simply, I got a less sympathetic feel for the Corleone family when reading the novel. The movie had this aura of portraying these men as lovable. And, I feel that the movie feel is in people's minds when reading the novel, thus, making the novel better than it seems. I loved the novel because it had more story and background info on the family. But, in just taking the book as is and not using what I knew from the movie. I like the movie better.

What do you (read book b4 movie) think?

-A Streetcar Named Desire-

Stanley: You want a shot? (offers liquor)
Blanche: No, I rarely touch it.
Stanley: There's some people that rarely touch it, but it touches them often.