I am willing to bet it was closer to sausage than hot dogs?? Or did they see the "americani" coming and decided to make you feel at home? LOL.

A GREAT place which is no longer there was a half flight down below the street on West 24th Street in Chelsea (Manhattan) -- they had a pie for every famous mafiosa actor -- the DeNiro, The Pesci (fish), but my all time fave was the Pacino which had fresh mozzarella and sweet roasted peppers, Pacino himself was in there every so often... why places like that go out of business when others flourish, I have no idea... they had (at that time) the very best pizza in all of Chelsea if not one of the top 10 in Manahattan.

Speaking of Lent (in a previous post), my mother would often substitute pepperoni on the homemade pizza for sliced black olives... still one of my faves. I am pretty simple, I don't go for these ziti/cajun/buffalo chicken slices, I am a purist... about as crazy as I get is the "white" ricotta slice every once in awhile.

"There are 2 types of people in the world, Italian, and those who wish they were Italian."

# # # JRCX