Originally Posted By: Capo de La Cosa Nostra
Read the novel, Ice? I haven't (not seen the film either), but I read Cain's Double Indemnity, after seeing Wilder's adaptation. I saw it again recently on a big screen and was floored. One of the greatest US films ever made.

I haven't read either work, but thanks for pointing that out. If you like one then you should almost for certain like the other.

But as you said, Double Indemnity is one of the greatest films ever made. I actually think that The Postman Always Rings Twice has a few more of those "layers" of transparent subjectivity which form an opaque form of "objectivity". But Double Indemnity is certainly not lacking them either, obviously, and is a better overall watch, IMO.

To sum up Double Indemnity I'll do my best Edward G. Robinson, it's wrapped up in tissue paper with pink ribbons on it. The entire film is like opening a beautifully wrapped package, peeling your way through layer after layer to then find the perfect gift. It's simply a PERFECT watch with the PERFECT pace, isn't it?

Quote:
Lana Turner gives me shivers.

Ditto. Her life is really one of the more haunting and mysterious tales from classic Hollywood. She actually had to wear fake eye-brows throughout much of her life, after shaving them off to play an Asian during one of her early works. For some reason they simply never grew back. Imagine how crippling such a physical defect can be to an actress's psyche.

And I'm sure you're aware that she was involved in a very famous murder scandal against one of her husbands. Her 14 yr. old daughter--supposedly--was the culprit, acting in self-defense of her mother.

Quote:
I'm writing an essay right now, actually, on the articulation of time in noir (narrative evocation of memory/desire, and the void left in the boundary between past/future (does the "present" even exist?)); concentrating on Double Indemnity, The Third Man and The Woman in the Window.

That should be interesting. I was aware of the temporal element in the narrative of Double Indemnity b/c of the flashback structure of the film. I haven't seen the other two nor was I aware that this theme replayed itself throughout noir. I'd be very interested to learn more about this.