Originally Posted By: Capo de La Cosa Nostra
It's more of a short story within a book, but has anybody read "Guts" by Chuck Palahniuk? Somebody told me about it last night, and, intrigued, I've just read it now.

Read it if you haven't, and if you have, your thoughts? Is the rest of the novel (Haunted) worth reading?

Warning, Spoiler:
I found the biological explanation implausible but somewhat effective. What sent shivers down my spine was the following extract:

Quote:
This thick rope, some kind of snake, blue¬white and braided with veins, has come up out of the pool drain and it's holding on to my butt. Some of the veins are leaking blood, red blood that looks black underwater and drifts away from little rips in the pale skin of the snake. The blood trails away, disappearing in the water, and inside the snake's thin, blue¬white skin you can see lumps of some half-digested meal.

That's the only way this makes sense. Some horrible sea monster, a sea serpent, something that's never seen the light of day, it's been hiding in the dark bottom of the pool drain, waiting to eat me.

I was literally squirming at that point. I've always panicked at the thought of sea serpents or eels being underneath me in water.
Not his best. I finished it a few weeks ago and really didnt like it. Thought it was strange, even for him.