Disgraced Jones could be jailed

American Olympian Marion Jones could be sent to jail when she is sentenced in New York later on Friday.
The former sprinter pleaded guilty last October to lying about steroid use and involvement in a drugs fraud case.

Lawyers for the defence have requested US District Judge Kenneth Karas limit sentencing the former sprinter to probation or house arrest.

Having already apologised, retired and given up her five Olympic medals, Jones has been punished enough, they argue.

And lawyers for the prosecution have suggested any sentence between probation and six months would be fair.

But Judge Karas has sought advice as to whether he could go beyond the six-month maximum sentence suggested in a plea deal, indicating that he could order the former sprinter to serve two consecutive sentences.

Fall from glory

Once arguably the most famous female athlete in the world, Jones won gold in the 100 metres, 200m and 4x400m relay as well as bronzes in the long jump and 4x100m relay, at the Sydney Olympics in 2000.

While her charisma and big smile won her a global fanbase, her success on the track coupled with photogenic looks won her lucrative endorsements.

But she suffered a spectacular fall from glory last October, admitting lying to a federal investigator in November 2003 when she denied using performance-enhancing drugs.

Marion Jones

She admitted using a steroid between September 2000 and July 2001.

Ms Jones, now 32, also pleaded guilty to lying to federal investigators in 2003 about a separate cheque fraud case involving her former boyfriend, sprinter Tim Montgomery, the father of her son, Monty.

Montgomery and several others have been convicted in that scam.

Tearful apology

Released pending sentencing, Jones made a heart-felt public apology for her actions outside the court.

"It's with a great amount of shame that I stand before you and tell you that I have betrayed your trust," she said, fighting back tears.

"I have been dishonest, and you have the right to be angry with me. I have let (my family) down. I have let my country down, and I have let myself down."

Jones, who returned her medals even before the International Olympic Committee ordered her to do so, has since had her name expunged from the record books.

Hers was one of a number of high-profile doping cases involving top American athletes that have prompted the US Olympic Committee to team up with Major League Baseball and the National Football League with a new initiative aimed at combating drug use in American sport.

The Mafia Is Not Primarily An Organisation Of Murderers.
First And Foremost,The Mafia Is Made Up Of Thieves.
It Is Driven By Greed And Controlled By Fear.

Between The Law And The Mafia, The Law Is Not The Most To Be Feared

"What if the Mafia were not an organization but a widespread Sicilian attitude of hostility towards the law?"

"Make Love Not War" John Lennon