Originally Posted By: J Geoff
Rivières pourpres, Les [The Crimson Rivers] (2000) ****

Directed by: Mathieu Kassovitz (Gothika (2003), Babylon A.D. (2008))
Starring: Jean Reno (The Professional (1994)) & Vincent Cassel (Ocean's Twelve/Thirteen)

Two out-of-town French cops working on what seemed to be separate cases cross paths at a common suspect/victim's apartment to solve heinous crimes from an apparent serial killer. But there's much more to unearth.

Member a1, my Filmmaking instructor, told me this was great so I rented it (and its sequel which hasn't arrived yet). First off, thank goodness for the Bonus Features cuz otherwise I'd have a very hard time understanding exactly what happened. And I actually wasn't all that thrilled with the climax, personally, but it was a very good film. Unknown to me, it defaulted to dubbed English. (Well, it was obvious it was dubbed, tho they did a decent job, but) I really wish I had watched it in French with the subtitles, because it seems MOST of the dialogue was changed for the dubbing, and in the Extras much of it made a lot more sense as intended.

Rivières pourpres II: Les anges de l'apocalypse [The Crimson Rivers II: Angels of the Apocalypse] (2004) *** 1/2

Directed by: The diminutive and untalented Olivier Dahan
Starring: Jean Reno & Benoît Magimel

Know what? I gotta stop right there. I REALLY liked the movie a lot. But after spending over an hour watching the bonus features, I think this movie could've been ever better with a REAL director -- one who knows what he's doing rather than apparently relying on his crew's input for every freaking thing to make it better. Dahan is a munshkin twat who apparently has NO CLUE WTF he's doing -- and he and his crew almost said that loud and clear.

BUT - the finished product (no doubt w/o any help from Dahan) was just great! Not quite the original, of course... but I did like the subject matter so that adds a few points.

I studied Italian for 2 semesters. Not once was a "C" pronounced as a "G", and never was a trailing "I" ignored! And I'm from Jersey! tongue lol

Whaddaya want me to do? Whack a guy? Off a guy? Whack off a guy? --Peter Griffin

My DVDs | Facebook | Godfather Filming Locations