Well, I had taken out some meatballs & sausage in sauce I made about a month ago and had that for dinner... its my most familiar comfort food since i've been eating it as far back as I can remember, and for every single sunday since... the old school italians would eat it on Sunday, Tuesday, Thursday (if it got that far) then they would make it again on sunday... i tend to make it on a sunday, freeze most of it and a few hours of cooking will last me a month or 2 depending on my appetite and/or how busy I am those weeks... since I am single, it goes further \:\)

For those of you who watch FoodTV, Bobby Flay's Throwdown was the meatball throwdown... while there are a million different ways, seems like most agree, parsley, and veal, pork, beef and bread crumbs, fresh or store bought are a must.

As for german food, i've had authentic... my ex-gfriend was born in germany, so i have had the sauerbraten (spelling?) and any real, authentic homemade food is good, but the only way i can draw a parallel is the "white wine with fish, red wine with meat" theory -- its not true, the wine should compliment the food, if you dont like white wine, no matter how expensive or good it is, its never going to compliment the food, so i choose a lighter red. Same thing with food... if you don't like it, no matter how good it is, you don't like it, you may find some dishes better and more tolerable than others, but it will never be something you love like comfort food.

Germans will find german food great comfort food, but italian's won't. So, that being said, who cares to name their "alternate" comfort food? It CANNOT be an ethnic food, so what would it be?

For me, it would be poached eggs on toast... my aunt would make it for me as a child for lunch and slice it up into squares on white toast, definitely not italian but it always takes me back... that, and i guess my mother's meatloaf... (among many) but those would be the non-italian ones... If its fast food, i'd like Roy Rogers again, last one i was in was in NYC years ago, but the problem with fast food is they constantly change ingredients for greater profit and suppliment it by adding more salt, so even that is hard to "re-visit" these days....

"There are 2 types of people in the world, Italian, and those who wish they were Italian."

# # # JRCX