Originally Posted By: Sicilian Babe
I asked how many could do it if they were in the same situation.

My brother took the question one step further and asked if there was anyone that they would find too repulsive to eat. Interesting question.

Once the flesh is properly roasted, it bears little resemblance to its human form, and the taste is fairly uniform....or so I am told.

Seriously, I guess we can't answer that question unless we are subjected to the dire situation that would warrant consideration of cannibalism. The question becomes easier to answer perhaps if we were to ask whether we would feed human flesh to our kids if their lives depended on it.

The South American soccer team, mentioned above, reminded me of an old 18th or 19th century English case that involved a merchant vessel sinking in the South Atlantic. Four crewmen and a young teenage boy, a hired servant, were sailing for weeks on a small raft or lifeboat. The boy was weakening and declining as he became delirious and fell in and out of consciousness.

The four (I think it was four) men, knew they had to eat soon, and realized that this boy was near death. Facing their own mortality, the men killed the boy and were about ready to carve him up when a ship rescued them.

The men were charged with murder. All I remember is that an Appeals court overturned the decision of the lower court, but I don't remember the outcome.