I don't agree with all the Tom-bashing on this thread.

True, Tom says that Vito has to give Sollozzo a day next week. But that proves nothing more than that Sollozzo has been previously discussed. To suggest that Tom has indicated to Sollozzo that the Corleones may be interested is a stretch. If nothing else, that would be very out of character for Tom.

There's no reason to believe that Tom has the ability or inclination to force Vito into a meeting he does not want to have. And the meeting wasn't the problem - the refusal was. Had Tom counseled Vito not to meet, things would likely have proceeed the same way. The only difference is that Sonny opened his pie-hole in the meeting, which you can hardly blame on Tom.

If memory serves, in a deleted scene Vito instructs Tom to add to his notes that Sollozzo has a background in prostitution. This shows that Vito is very familiar with Sollozzo outside of what Tom has told him.

Tom's counsel was ultimately irrelevant in the ensuing events. I don't see how Genco would have been able to forestall the impact of narcotics on the Corleones or the Cosa Nostra in general.

"A man in my position cannot afford to be made to look ridiculous!"