Turnbull eloquently writes and concludes...
 Quote:
So, when he told Michael that “The Don, rest in peace, was slippin’—ten years ago, could I have gotten to him?” Sollozzo didn’t just mean that Vito had screwed up his bodyguard detail on the day he was shot. He meant that he’d discovered that Vito had made himself vulnerable by relying too heavily on Luca for protection and Sonny for succession...

...and Tom for counsel!

The interpretation of "ten years ago, could I have gotten to him" has always been one of my favorite discussions. Ten years ago, as Sonny would say, "Pop had Genco. Look what I got."

Ten years ago, with Genco as consigliere, I don't think Don Corleone takes a meeting with Virgil Sollazzo at all, and certainly not to tell him, "No." You don't take a meeting like this to tell someone "no" because "a refusal is not the act of a friend." You only take that meeting to say YES and seal the deal. I believe Genco would have understood either implicitly or because Vito had stated a position that a drug deal at any level wasn't an option. Moreover, I think Genco would have understood that someone at Sollazzo's level approaching the Corleone family must be doing so with the backing and approval of another family. He would see Sollazzo as a fast-moving threat to the Corleone family, since Sollazzo has the backing of another family and requires the political clout of the Corleone family to advance his business venture. He's a threat that will not settle for no and will do whatever is necessary to get what he wants/needs. I don't believe Genco would ever imply that the Corleone's would consider involvement in the drug trade and would have arranged for an "accident" to occur to someone like Sollazzo to dismiss the threat and send a message to the other families.

But Tom tells Vito, "Now, we have to give Virgil Sollazzo a day next week." And that would imply Tom has already communicated that the family would interested in hearing about Sollazzo's deal, and I think Sollazzo could rightfully believe SOMEONE in the Corleone family thinks his deal has merit and will give their approval in some form. Then he's told, "No." That's an embarrassment for Sollazzo, and although he's already made up his mind to whack Vito for leverage, nobody seems to comprehend the threat or feel a sense of urgency to watch their backs. Vito's misguided use of Luca is but another error in judgement in a series of errors.

Tom's insistence that they meet with Sollazzo validates Sollazzo's standing. To me, that's a HUGE mistake, a mistake Genco NEVER would have made. Ten years ago, no, you would not have gotten to the Don.

It's Tom's counsel (and lack of "Sicilian cunning") that provided the crack in the armor which allowed Sollazzo to drive-in the wedge. (It's Tom's counsel that give us the entire premise for the movie!)

tony b.

"Kid, these are my f**kin' work clothes."
"You look good in them golf shoes. You should buy 'em"