I'm sticking with Luger's. I understand some people think the staff is rude, and I suppose that may be the case, but I've seen ruder at the Palm and other places as well. I vote for Luger's because it is sui generis. They have not sold out, they are not a chain, and they look down on anyone who orders any beef other than a porterhouse.

For a chain, the best is Flemings, which is only about five years old, and has maybe 8-10 locations in the U.S. None in N.Y.
Overrated and places I will never pay to go are Shula's, Ruth's Chris, and Smith and Wollensky's.

When looking at what makes a steak house truly great, you have to look at several things other than the steaks. For me, who eats lamb every other time I go to a steak house, the true measure of quality is whether or not they have great lamb chops as well as great steaks.

Next is the potatoes. Here I would give the edge to the Palm for his has browns, but Luger's is so close that it does not tip
the balance. Personally I am a baked potato man, with sour cream, chives and lots of butter (no cholesterol there).

Next is the creamed spinach. This is required eating imho.

Salads, Deserts, and Drinks must all have been created no later than 1945. A wedge of Iceberg or a caesar is fine, mixed organic baby arugula with organic oak leaves and balsamic vinegar has no place in a decent steak house. For desert, likewise. Ice cream, Key Lime Pie and Cheese Cake are fine, kiwi fruit composte drizzled with hazelnut chocolate sauce is a no no. For drinking, a huge wine list is appripriate and it needs to include a variety of after dinner drings...cognacs, caalvados, port etc. Cocktails need to be very limited... no cosmopolitans, no pomegranite infused vodka with blood orange syrup served in a chilled glass. Cocktails need to be the basics. Scotch, Bourbon, Vodka Gin, Rye and maybe rum, maybe not.

The wait staff should be courteous but not friendly. They should wear all white..white shirts and white floor length aprons. They should not do the "Hi, I'm Troy and I'm going to be your server tonight, can I start you out with a drink?" And there should only be seasonal specials... certain oysters or clams, maybe shad roe in the spring... but otherwise the menu has to be predictable.

"Io sono stanco, sono imbigliato, and I wan't everyone here to know, there ain't gonna be no trouble from me..Don Corleone..Cicc' a port!"

"I stood in the courtroom like a fool."

"I am Constanza: Lord of the idiots."