Family Secrets jury wants definition of 'intimidation'
By Jeff Coen | Tribune staff reporter
1:00 PM CDT, September 6, 2007

For the second time in two days, jurors deliberating in the Family Secrets mob conspiracy trial have asked for the definition of a word that appears early in the sweeping indictment against the five defendants.

U.S. District Court Judge James Zagel called lawyers in the case to his courtroom after 10:30 a.m. Thursday to read the note from the anonymous panel. The jury asked for a legal definition of "intimidation."

Zagel asked the lawyers to submit written definitions to him -- if they so choose -- by 1:30 p.m. The judge said he would then decide how to define the word for the jury.

On Wednesday the jury asked for a dictionary before telling the judge they were looking for a definition of "usurious."

The word is defined in most dictionaries as "of or constituting usury," which is defined as the practice of lending money at excessively or illegally high interest rates. Before the court had supplied an answer, jurors told the judge that they were able to glean the definition from the indictment itself.

Both words appear on the second page of the Family Secrets indictment in the context of using intimidation to collect on high-interest "juice" loans.

Jurors also asked the judge Thursday for help in operating some of the electronic equipment they have been given to review evidence in the case.

Reputed Outfit figures James Marcello, Joey "the Clown" Lombardo, Frank Calabrese Sr. and Paul "the Indian" Schiro as well as former Chicago police officer Anthony "Twan" Doyle are charged in a racketeering conspiracy that stretches back 40 years.

The jury has been deliberating since Tuesday morning. Their identities have been kept confidential because of safety concerns raised by prosecutors.

jcoen@tribune.com

I came, I saw, I had no idea what was going on, I left.