I would imagine that, like the later film Apocalypse Now, there has to be a heap of material in the Zoetrope archives. In the case of AN, the film sported a five-hour workprint version, largely through add-ons to existing scenes, through entire sequences (many of which never saw daylight until the Redux version), and through the stringing together of multiple camera angles of the exact same single action (the helicopter battle is the biggest example of that in AN).

Now, as far as the Godfather films is concerned, I don't really know, but I remember a mention somewhere that Lucas claimed the original cut of Part II was itself five hours long. I may have misheard or misread that, though, so don't make me take the stand on it. Still, the Novel for Television is proof positive that there's always more material in a Coppola film than gets shown on the screen. Think about it: Parts I and II together, on their own, add up to 6.25 hours. In the television version, that's been expanded to 7 hours, give or take a minute or two, a significant enhancement. Something in me just says, yes, there's something more in those archives somewhere.

Now, if they should ever get around to doing a DVD of the longer cut, let us ask ourselves: does it really just have to be the television version? Even the previous video versions have, for instance, restored the cuss words and violence that television standards and practices required Coppola to remove. So let's take it a few steps further: if there is anything else in the archives that can be added in without significantly hurting the flow of the story, shouldn't they do it? For that matter, considering that it would be too long to put on just one disc, where do they put the breaks? I have an answer: divide it according to the major phases of the story. It can be something like this:

Disc 1: The Godfather, Prologue: The Rise of Vito Corleone - 1901-1923
Disc 2: The Godfather Part I: The Rise of Michael Corleone - 1945-1955
Disc 3: The Godfather Part II: The Tragedy of Michael Corleone - 1958-1959
Disc 4: The Godfather Part III: The Death of Michael Corleone - 1979-1980

Just something to consider. ;\)