Originally Posted By: BDuff
 Originally Posted By: Irishman12
 Originally Posted By: svsg
 Originally Posted By: Irishman12
APOCALYPSE NOW
(Second Viewing)

I'm very surprised to see Marlon Brando didn't get an Oscar nomination for this film.

As you may be aware, I rate AN as my #1 favorite. Eventhough the movie depicts Kurtz as an enigmatic larger than life character, the main character to me was Willard. Though I have nothing against Brando's performance, I didn't care much for it. My opinion is that Brando's only contribution is to look really huge(though even that was not intended by Coppola originally - he had a fit person playing that tole in his script) and sort of dangerous. You also have to factor in the fact that he was the bigger star compared to Martin Sheen, which added to the film's selling. Kurtz is a derivative of "Hearts of Darkness", so that role had to be played by some known person. However Coppola intelligently shifted the struggle and focus to Willard.

I wasn't aware of your fascination with the movie. Have you seen Redux? I haven't but I've heard fans who love it and others who have hated it? Where do you stand? I want to buy the Dossier Special Edition DVD which contains both versions.

Redux has about 40-50 extra minutes attached to it. It's worth watching just to see them even though they don't really add anything to the film. It's really just more screen time for Brando.

More Brando? I'm there. Thanks for the heads up.