Originally Posted By: pizzaboy
I actually just picked up the book today, SB!

While researching online, I found out that alot of liberties were taken with the book, so I want to read it.

I'll let you know.

Was this before or after you requested that prison movies thread? ;\)

Hey Irish, check this review of the FANTASTIC FOUR sequel out from a buddy of mine: Adam Jahnke over at the Bits:

"When I was a kid, I read both Fantastic Four and Silver Surfer comics and liked them quite a bit. After sitting through two FF movies, the latest of which features the Surfer, I can’t for the life of me remember what I enjoyed about them. And that may be the worst thing you can say about any movie adaptation. It actually makes you forget what you liked about the source material in the first place. This time around, Reed and Sue are about to become Mr. and Mrs. Fantastic when the ceremony is interrupted by the appearance of the Silver Surfer in the skies over Manhattan. The Torch goes after him only to have his ass handed back, which results in some trouble with his powers later on. Meanwhile, Dr. Doom is back and wants to get his hands on the Surfer’s Power Cosmic, while everybody else just wants to prevent Earth from being devoured by Galactus, a big cosmic cloud that if you squint and tilt your head just so, bears a vague resemblance to its comic book counterpart in certain shots. To be fair, I had exactly the same reaction to Rise as I did to the first Four. This is no better and no worse than the original movie. The problems are still pretty much the same. The visual effects are still a mixed bag, with Mr. Fantastic and the ever-lovin’ blue-eyed Thing coming across the worst and the Surfer looking pretty good. The cast, including Ioan Gruffudd, Jessica Alba and Julian McMahon, are almost uniformly bland, better suited to a Fantastic Four soap opera than a movie. McMahon is a particular liability. His character needs to be eliminated immediately so the real Dr.. Doom can show up on screen someday. Only Chris Evans as Johnny Storm registers anything even close to enthusiasm for the gig. It’s kind of cool seeing the Silver Surfer on screen but really, it’s not a great character to build a movie around. Stories about somber, philosophical aliens who ride surfboards through the cosmos are a little easier to take seriously in comics, if indeed you’re able to take it seriously at all. Now I know what defenders of this movie will say. It’s aimed at kids, lighten up. I readily acknowledge that the Fantastic Four movies are geared toward younger audiences and I actually applaud Fox for that decision. We certainly don’t need anymore “dark” superhero movies. But the old FF cartoon that replaced the Human Torch with H.E.R.B.I.E. the robot was aimed at kids, too. That didn’t mean it was any good. (* *)"

ZING!