Originally Posted By: olivant
So, what constitutes a real mob boss? Phil? He involved his family in a war that even his underboss and consigliere tried to end by making a concession to Tony. Then Phil gets himself murdered while Tony lives on.

Johnny Sack a real mob boss? He breaks tradition by elocuting in court tot he existence of the Mafia and gets himself sent to prison. Tony is not in prison.

Again, what's a real mob boss?

The man is an INFAMIA!!!

He spilled half of Cosa Nostra's secrets to his doctor!!!

There's a reason that "we" - i.e my mother, my drunken friends, you guys - LOVE this show. We relate to Tony's struggle as a person. He's pretty much like you and I.

Richie Aprile for example, is the kind of mob boss that Carlo Gambino would employ. I DON'T think my mom would want to watch a series about him though. I MIGHT want to watch it, but The Aprilies or The Sacrimonis would not the smash hit that The Sopranos is.

Tony is pretty much a normal guy and I think his wife/family made him that way. That's why he could never be a good mob boss. Today's Cosa Nostra ESPECIALLY needs guys to take it "UNDER-GROUND" and out of the limelight. They need guys like Richie Aprile knocking women's teeth out, taking ppl's money, AND keeping their mouth shut!!!

Seriously though, olivant. Tony was NOT an unconscionable, murdering bastard (like RALPHIE) and would never, never, never cut it as a mob boss. That's why we kind of "like" him, am I right?