I tend to agree on some amalgamation of Don Cardi and Saladbar's arguments, however, I would not eliminate SUV's or bigger vehicles. Rather, I think legislation needs to be enacted on all cars (both domestic and foreign) the encourages more automobile efficiency, and also maybe include more tax incentives to both the company and the consumer for purchasing this type of vehicle. The current standards of next-gen cars with their batteries that will wear out in a few years (and then cost a substantial amount to replace) is not the answer.

Frankly, and this is probably a separate discussion (feel free to make a thread), I have very little sympathies for automakers at this point, largely because since the early 1980's quality has significantly declined while prices have steadily increased, at least in the domestic market. The average American family cannot afford $40,000 mid-sized sedan. If the American autos began making quality cars that were affordable to average people, then there would be a drastic turnaround in the industry. Where does this fit in with the gasoline question? Make more fuel efficient cars for better mileage that are durable and consistent. I don't care whether my wheels have spinners or I can trick my ride or fashion some bling. And the vast majority of decent, hard-working Americans don't either.

Make something people can afford, that is efficient, and you will make a profit. It's pretty straightforward.

Frankly, I'd tie this whole issue to national security. No way we could get automakers to be on an even remotely similar plane like American industry was during World War II (and even that was rife with corruption, with Alcoa, the Dollar-a-Year men, etc.), but make a play towards GM and Ford and Daimler-Chrysler that they need to do this for the good of America.

And after all, if we all get wiped out by an Iranian nuclear bomb, nobody is going to by buying any Hummers.