Remember Irish when me and LLC lectured you on how it doesn't matter a movie's length as long as its justified?

Well that said, why did PJ decide on a 3 hour Kong? Nothing that I saw in theatres justified it.

I think the main coarse problem with Peter Jackson's fanboy remake of the 1933 movie he loved is that he applied the same very serious "epic war movie" attitude towards KONG when its the wrong approach. For God sakes, this isn't saving Middle-Earth or some shit...its a bloody giant monkey!*

Worse, there is no fun with the movie. Oh the film TRIES to have fun, but there is nothing to get us perked up for a popcorn ride. Nothing. Nada.

*=The original 1933 movie seems more logical than the $220+ million remake in one way. The old school, its a wild beast of a creature that stomps, kills, eats and does what a undomestic monster of nature is expected in New York City. Yet it seems to have this fascination with the female protagonist as what...plaything or a pet?

Either way, we dig how Kong fights the Air Force off, kicking ass before he goes down in Tony Montana fashion.

With the 2006 remake, it becomes the most expensive f*cked-up beastiality subtext flick I've ever seen. PJ tries and fails to make Kong a victim of...something. With such a crazy love story, why bother having Adrien Brody then? I mean, besides the most f*cked-up love triangle in this decade so far?

I would think Irishman would argue with me, but I can expect it won't happen. He knows that possibility of arguing successfully for his case is about as fruitfull as well punching a brick wall.

As for the 1976 movie....Dino DeLaurentiis makes another super-expensive flop of a would-be superhit flick thats remembered only as cheesy, silly-looking, and worse....looking cheap despite the budget figures. Even Jeff Bridges admits its his greatest mistake(which he only did because he loved the 1933 movie as a kid). It happens. The '33 movie works for what it is, an adventure/monster movie at a time when parts of the world seemed still wild and unexplored and when exploring was still considered a profession of legends and awesomeness.

KING KONG (1933) - ****
KING KONG (1976) - *1/2
KING KONG (2005) - **