A colonel in the French Foreign Legion was given command of an isolated outpost in the middle of the desert.

On his first day, he had his sergeant show him around. He noticed that there was a solitary camel tied up behind the enlisted men's barracks. "Sergeant," said the colonel, "what is that camel doing there?"

"Well sir," came the reply, "the men are out here in the desert for so long, and they have no companionship of any kind. Every once in awhile they get certain natural urges. That's when we make use of the camel."

The colonel was surprised to hear this, but decided that in the interest of morale it would be best to let the camel stay.

Some months later, the colonel felt certain urges of his own that could not be supressed, try as he might. He ordered the sergeant to bring the camel to his quarters. Once there, the colonel set upon the beast with lusty vigor.

After the deed was done, the colonel saw that the sergeant was still standing at attention in the doorway - in his haste he had neglected to dismiss him.

"Well, sergeant," said the colonel, trying to appear as dignified as possible under the somewhat awkward circumstances, "isn't that the way the men usually do it?"

"Not exactly, sir," came the reply. "They usually ride her to the brothel in the nearest village."

"For me, there's only my wife..."

"Sure I cook with wine - sometimes I even add it to the food!"

"When life itself seems lunatic, who knows where madness lies?"

"It was a grass harp... And we listened."

"Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it? Every, every minute?"

"No. Saints and poets, maybe... they do some."