Originally Posted By: pizzaboy
Quite coincidentally, I saw two Edward Burns films this weekend. I say coincidentally because I'm not really a fan of his, even though I love indie films.

Anyway...

THE GROOMSMEN (2006)

A decent film about five thirtysomething buddies getting together for a wedding in City Island (The Bronx), where they grew up. Jay Mohr was actually quite funny and John Leguizamo very believable as a closeted gay man coming home and coming out to his friends after some time away. Burns played his usual level headed big brother type of character and Brittany Murphy, who annoyed me to no end, played his fiancee. A fair movie that I enjoyed because of the on location City Island footage. If you're familiar with the area, it's worth an hour and a half out of your life.

ASH WEDNESDAY (2002)

Burns as big brother to Elijah Wood in an Irish gangster pic set in Hell's Kitchen in the early 80's. A decent plot, but Wood, who by my best guess, was about 20 at the time, actually looked about 16, making the movie that much less believable. Rosario Dawson, who was actually very good, played his wife, but again, although she's probably about the same age as Wood, looked too old to play his wife. A very predictable ending. Overall, I can't really recommend it.

Good reviews pizzaboy. You should do this more often. How about those Rourke flicks we were talking about earlier? ;-)