Originally Posted By: Irishman12
Originally Posted By: Don Vercetti
There is no law against suing a black person, read my post again. If a black kid at school calls me a cracker ass white boy, if anything at all he'd get a detention, and I even doubt that. If I said "ni**er" then I'd be suspended with a student hearing with a possibility of expulsion. If I sued that same African American for calling me that it wouldn't make it anywhere. I'd laughed out of the courts.

I gotta agree with Vercetti here. It seems that calling a white person cracker is socially acceptable but the N word is not (with both being slurs but white's being held to a double standard).

The particular racial slur against Black-Americans is far more pejorative then the term cracker because Black Americans have suffered extreme indignities throughout American history. The slur was used to show contempt throughout generations where law and custom identified Black Americans as inferior human beings to White Americans. The slur is deeply rooted in a painful and shameful past, unlike the term cracker.

Thus, when Chris Rock or anyone else uses the word cracker, the effect is less traumatic than when Michael Richards, in a room full of people, calls a black man a "ni**er." That vulgarity, which is rooted in hatred and oppression, represents a grim reality that included slave auctions, whippings, segregation, unequal treatment under the law, discrimination in education, housing and employment, poverty and lynchings.