Since I'm waiting to stick a batch of cornbread in the oven for tomorrow's dinner (you have to let the batter stand for 1/2 hour)...just thought I'd ask about who's making what to accompany the turkey!!

My sister is the traditionalist, making the same dishes annually: cauliflower casserole (with cheddar cheese & breadcrumb topping), sweet potato pie, stuffed mushrooms and a god-aweful thing called 'poch' (mashed potatos with turnips mixed in). She NEVER varies from these holiday favorites, and also handles the pumpkin & apple pies.

Me? I have some regulars myself, like peas & pancetta (Italian bacon), and my caramel pecan pie. But I like to search Bon Appetite magazine and find one or two new recipes for every holiday. Something new I'm trying this year is cauliflower in a lemon/mustard butter (picture looks YUMMY)!! Am also making two kinds of cornbread - sweet/buttery and corn & scallion muffins.

So...how about everyone else? Old favorites? New dishes?
Or a combination?

Apple

ps - all the above may soon be moot, because since beginning the topic I got a call from my sister that they're trying to get my mom to go to the hospital because her one eye is extremely red and painful and they're afraid due to her high blood pressure that she may be hemmoraging behind the eye (which the doctor said might happen). Right now mother is resisting getting checked...typical old person. To be continued.

A wise and frugal government, which shall leave men free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor the bread it has earned - this is the sum of good government.

- THOMAS JEFFERSON