SPOILERS UP TO CHAPTER 14, End of BOOK I

So both Sonny's daughter and aunt Connie have the hots for Johnny Fontaine. The weakest chapter in the book so far. One that I could have done without. But I guess that a writer needs to insert dull and sensless chapters like this one in order to fill up his book.

A commission meeting held in Brooklyn, run by Michael Corleone. Now this is what I want to read about, not Connie's hots for Johnny Fontaine.

Don Altobello has just become a member of the commission and is the Don of the Tattaglia family. The Cuneos have become a close ally to the Corleones, and they were the ones responsible for finding and taking out Fabrizzio on Michael's behalf, years before. (obviously why I posted the question that I did over in the GF Novel thread).

The book continues to parallel real life mob and political happenings. There is reference made to a farm in upstate New York where a raid had taken place years earlier, netting the heads of many mafia families from around the country. An obvious referal to the real life infamous Appalachian meeting.

There is also a proposal made at that commission meeting to kill the President of the United States in order to put a stop to his younger brother's continued efforts, as attorney general, to crackdown on the mob. That proposal comes from the Don of New Orleans.

These two brothers, the President and the Attorney General, have one weekness though, and Micheal Corleone knows exactly what that weekness is, due to their hanging out with Johnny Fontaine; infidelity with woman.

Sound like any historical pair of political brothers that we know of who were known to have hung around with a famous italian singer?

Hopefully things will get a bit more exciting in Book II and start to take place after Winegardner spending 14 chapters developing the plot.

Not a bad read so far, but not as action packed as I thought it was going to be.

Don Cardi

Don Cardi cool

Five - ten years from now, they're gonna wish there was American Cosa Nostra. Five - ten years from now, they're gonna miss John Gotti.