Originally Posted By: Capo de La Cosa Nostra
But if you enjoy True Lies then how is not high quality?

Is quality judged by an external value? An unsaid hierarchy?

Quality is judged by every person individually. Thats why I'm against lists such as AFI's list. I love most of the films there, but having such a list is pointless IMO.
I enjoy True Lies for the cheap humor it has; I like, for example, when Jamie Lee Curtis uses the water in a flowerpot to wet her hair, tryin to be sexy, followed by the funny instructions she gets from the tape- that amuses me, the shallow person that I am.
I also love the witty humor in Casablanca, if that is somewhat of an opposite type of humor in your book. I can watch Casablanca, one of my favorites, on a daily basis (and for a while I did) but I dont limit myself to movies only of that caliber. True Lies is a 'light snickers' type of film, which is another type of films to enjoy. I didnt expect it to be better, in fact, it couldve been a disaster, but I like it the way it is.

I enjoy playing basketball and I enjoy playing chess. I wouldnt call basketball a high-quality game like chess is. I still enjoy playing basketball. Does that help you understand how one can enjoy something that is not of high quality? There are certain degrees of quality.

Post no.4 on the way....

"Come out and take it, you dirty, yellow-bellied rat, or I'll give it to you through the door!"

- James Cagney in "Taxi!" (1932)