Originally posted by Moscarelli:
I mean, look at Vito. We see him first as a powerful, loving, wise, lucky man, just as facism seems like a great idea for a government, when all it is, is an idea. But, if you really look into his character, he is a victim.
Moscarelli - with all due respect, I think you are completely wrong about Vito being a victim, after a point.

A victim as a child? Yes. Even up to the point where he loses his job in the grocery store, I can buy the victim routine. But he stopped being a victim the moment he shot Fannuci, or even when him, Tessio, and Clemenza had their dinner discussion of what to do.

After his first murder, he ceased being a victim. Everything was his own doing, and (realizing we're dealing with fiction here) you can't possibly consider him a victim.

As with any criminal, he justified all of his acts (taking care of family, protecting them, etc), but he wasn't a victim.

I think part of the larger "plot" with the marionette is that even when you hold the strings, you eventually realize that there's another marionette behind you, pulling your strings even if you have "power" of your own. Look at Mike: "Just when I thought I was out, they pull me back in".

"Meet my nephew! How's business?"