Thank you, Tony Love. smile

As I thought more into it, I started to see something even deeper. The Corleones remind me a lot of a poor man in a facist country. This poor man tries his whole life to move on from poverty, but, because society likes it just the way it is, as much as he struggles, he never progresses.

I mean, look at Vito. We see him first as a powerful, loving, wise, lucky man, just as facism seems like a great idea for a government, when all it is, is an idea. But, if you really look into his character, he is a victim. His family all ended up dead before he turned 9. He moved to America, a strange land, as just a child, and found life even harder there. Life was so hard, that it eventually lead to him, a relatively peaceful man, resulting to murder. And I think, Vito must have been quite angry, quite emotional about Fanucci, for deciding on his death so quickly. He tried his best to raise his family to prosper, but he failed at that too. Sonny died so young, Michael ended up in the very career that Vito never wanted him to enter, Fredo, well, was Fredo, afterall, and Connie, up until only a little after Vito's death, lived a pretty miserable life with Carlo. Sure, Vito was happy with his family, but, its safe to say, that he must have been very depressed by all this, deep down inside.

Like the poor man in the facist country struggles for more money, Vito struggles for peace. In both situations higher authority, whether it be legal or otherwise, limit their happiness, as much as they struggle. Like the story of the poor man, this one is about a victim that never wins his fight.

Do you think, that maybe, this comparison was intentional of Puzo? Or am I just splitting hairs?

"The toe you stepped on yesterday may be attached to the ass you have to kiss today."
-Former Mayor of Providence, RI, Vincent "Buddy" Cianci