ANOTHER MESSAGE FROM HARLAN LEBO

Geoff:

One more thing: I was just reading the board and I may have given you the wrong impression on one point: for the Woltz estate, it was the EXTERIORS that were shot at the Harold Lloyd Estate in Beverly Hills. All of the Woltz interiors were indeed shot on location at the Guggenehim place on Long Island, as originally reported.

I include some extra material about this in the revisions of my Godfather book that will be published in October.

The Lloyd Estate is in the heart of the actual hills of Beverly Hills (north of Sunset Boulevard). The address is no secret -- either 1040 Angelo Drive, or 1740 Green Acres Place, depending on how you look at it. (Drive by, but of course, don't bother the occupants.) Here is a nice photo of the main house, taken in 1984.

The grounds were huge -- originally 22 acres of some of the most valuable property on Earth -- and included a nine-hole golf course and a canoe stream! You can see the drive up to the house from the street at the beginning of the movie "Harper," when Paul Newman goes up a narrow drive to the mansion of a client. Most of the grounds have been subdivided into large lots for other homes, but I believe (although I'm not sure) that the main house looks pretty much as it did in 1971.

One of your BB correspondents asked if this was the only scene from the Godfather shot in California. No -- the other shot in the film done in California was the re-uniting of Michael and Kaye at her school. This scene was shot in Ross -- a suburb in Marin County, California. But hey -- if your writer read my book, she would know this! grin

FYI -- when Coppola talks about shooting some scenes with Michael and Enzo in front of the hospital, he mentions that some inserts were shot in Los Angeles. I don't think he is remembering that correctly. I talked with Al Ruddy about this point, and also checked the scenes very carefully -- I think this is Coppola simply misremembering some of the shots handled in post-production.

H

I studied Italian for 2 semesters. Not once was a "C" pronounced as a "G", and never was a trailing "I" ignored! And I'm from Jersey! tongue lol

Whaddaya want me to do? Whack a guy? Off a guy? Whack off a guy? --Peter Griffin

My DVDs | Facebook | Godfather Filming Locations