A MESSAGE FROM HARLAN LEBO

Geoff:

Thanks so much for your help, and for posting my question about the shooting of Sonny. I did a survey of all of the photos I have of the shooting scene, plus 60 years of aerial photos, and you and your users are right: it was Mitchel Field that was used for this scene.

I haven't had a chance to talk with Gray Frederickson about it yet, but I can only assume that the reason that Al Ruddy was quoted saying in 1972 (and when I interviewed him in 1996) that they used Floyd Bennett Field was because they had originally planned to use it, but the plans fell through. I'm sorry I included this detail in my first addition.

So, I was able to produce the revisions I need for the book on very short notice. I'm adding more than 7,000 words of new material, especially extra details about the production and writing the script, along with many new quotes. I'm also adding a new afterword that brings the story up to date.

I've also reviewed every detail of the the primary source material (including such things as the site of Sonny's shooting) to "sanitize" the book. And, we're getting a new cover -- an extra-nice shot of Brando.

It was great fun to relive this project, and to flesh out the quotes and details that I had always wanted to include, but the timing of the oriignal writing schedule (and Coppola's non-availability for interviews because he was directing "Jack.") got in the way. Now, the book has that added dimension I always wanted.

So, more to come. We should see the new addition in late October, and we can talk more about it online with everyone, if you like.

Again -- thanks so much for your help. The next time I'm in New York, I owe you an anisette.

Cheers,

Harlan

I studied Italian for 2 semesters. Not once was a "C" pronounced as a "G", and never was a trailing "I" ignored! And I'm from Jersey! tongue lol

Whaddaya want me to do? Whack a guy? Off a guy? Whack off a guy? --Peter Griffin

My DVDs | Facebook | Godfather Filming Locations