Quote:
Originally posted by Krlea:
[b]SPOILER

What does everyone think about the abortion/miscarriage? Does anyone else think it was a cop out for Winegardner to have Kay tell Michael it was an actual miscarriage after all? I felt so robbed when I read that, like all of Michael's anger was no longer justified. I think Puzo meant for the miscarriage to be an acutal abortion and it annoys me that Winegardner changed that. Any thoughts? [/b]
I have not yet read the book, but the idea by itself does not make me mad. She told michael that she aborted the baby when he tries to lie to her that he has the ability to change and he wants to change. He had already told kay that in 5 years the family would be legitimate and that did not happen in 7 years. She might have genuinely got tired of his lies and at that moment, she might have wanted to hurt michael as much as possible. She knew he was mad about having sons to continue his family. There was no indication in the earlier scenes that she was a cruel mother. Maybe she did not abort after all. Not a bad story in my opinion.