Folks:

A few messages ago, I mentioned that GFR had moved from the front of a DC B.Dalton's to the far side. Yesterday, the book was more toward the front, but with a twist. There were several copies with a sticker that said 'autographed copy'. According to the sales clerk, Winegarder did not not have a formal book signing (you know, when they set the author at the front of the store to sign copies - I come through there every day, so I would have seen the advertising if a book signing was planned). Rather, he came into the store and asked the store managament if they wanted some autographed copies. Again, this account came from the sales clerk; this person did not know me and did not seem to have a reason to make up this story. On the flip side, I do not want to believe that he is so deperate that he is autographing copies just to push sales (GFR - a collector's item?).

If anyone is in the DC area, then stop at the B.Dalton's in Union Station. You will see copies of GFR - some have the stickers - but all are the same price. The signed ones were just as plentiful as the unsigned ones.

Question - has anyone else seen these autographed copies? The skeptical side of me says that the publisher is producing copies with his signature. But then, why would B.Dalton put it's reputation at risk by selling books that were not really autographed? And since there was no formal announcement of a GFR book signing in Union Station, then that leads me to believe that this guy is desperate or dillusional.

I know that as an author, it is not enough to be loved by the people who know you - you want the world to love you also. I really do not want to believe that Winegarder is doing 'drive-by book signings' - that would be truly sad (unless he lives in DC).

Any additonal info on these autographed copies would be appreciated please - thanks!

"People who are not serious, should not be taken seriously"