During some of the extras on the bonus disc it is said that GF Part III was originally given an NC-17 rating by the MPAA. This was due to the large blood spurt from Don Luccessi's neck which was originally put in but then edited out in order to avoid the NC-17 rating. My question is this - what is this NC-17 rating and why is it so dreadfull for a movie to get it? I've read it described as both "the kiss of death" and as a "useless" rating. I've also read that when a film was given this rating (Requiem for a dream) the theaters were "encouraged" to only allow adults in. It would appear that movies with this rating are not banned. Is it that only people over 17 can see the film? Why would that be the kiss of death? Sorry if the answer to this is obvious to any American people but i'm from the UK and we only have the following ratings:
U = Universal
PG = Parental Guidance
15 (Godfather Part III)
18 (Godfather Parts I & II).

I've been visiting this board (and the old one) using my firm's PC since february and it looks like i'm finally a made guy!

What has the universe got to do with it? You're here in Brooklyn! Brooklyn is not expanding!