OK, well anyway, my GF IV would cover "the happy years" in the 1930s and Vito's rise in the underworld.

Then, the epilogue to the death of Mary Corleone, picks up in about 1982, and the interactions of the four grandsons of Vito in running the family empire.

The epilogue segment would work toward a conclusion which would be triggered by Michael Corleone's death in 1997, and Vincent Corleone's release from federal prison later that year.

Santino Corleone Jr., who has been serving as Don since Vincent went to jail in 1992, wants to hold on to power. Vincent wants to return to control. Anthony and Michael Francis agree that Santino should remain Don, with the assent of Connie, now serving as the dark eminence of the entire family.

This uneasy balance of power holds until GF IV ends on the morning of September 11, 2001.
The camera pans over the early-morning shadowed gravestones in the New York Cemetery, over the stones of Fredo Corleone, Santino Corleone, Carmella Corleone and Vito Corleone. The camera slowly passes over the stone of Michael Corleone, 1920-1997, then lifts over the skyline and pans down the Manhattan city streets...

The camera stops as a limousine pulls up to the curb outside the World Trade Center. Santino Corleone, Jr. gets out, flanked with several bodyguards in suits. They move toward the entrance. As they pass through the doors, a high-pitched roaring whine rises and people outside the doors all stare upward. The scene cuts quickly back to the cemetery and the screen goes black.

GF V begins in Corleone, Sicily, in 1894. Antonio Andolini is a successful farmer and small merchant in the Sicilian countryside. He lives with his young son, Paulo, and infant son Vito, and his wife Maria Constanzia Andolini. His brother Frederico and father, Michale Andolini, are important local businessmen and landowners, popular with local residents who prosper under their protection.

Michale Andolini holds a position of reverence in the community, tempered with respect and in some cases, fear. Their prosperity is threatened by a rival local capo, Don Ciccio, an obnoxious young punk who sees the Andolinis as a threat...

The scene flashes back to New York City, 2001. The Corleone cousins are discussing who will replace Santino Jr. as Don.
Vincent fully expects to reassume the position he had held for a decade before entering prison. He points out that he always had the trust of "Don Michael, rest in peace."

"That was the plan before I went in, Aunt Connie," Vincent continues. "Santino would handle things until I got out. Well, now I'm out and Santino is dead. We didn't plan it that way, but it's my turn again. That's what Uncle Michael wanted."

Connie Corleone responds with an icy stare. "Michael is dead, Vincent," she states flatly. Anthony Corleone says nothing.

Michael Rizzi Corleone sits at one end of the long conference table, at his mother's right hand. On his right hand is his nephew, Gianni Corleone, in an expensive suit.

Then, Connie declares that Michael Francis (Rizzi) Corleone will now become the Don. The room falls silent for a moment. Vincent is furious and frustrated, and he's not the only family member feeling that way...

The scene flashes back to Sicily in 1894. Michale Andolini finds his son Frederico in the fields, murdered by men sent by Don Ciccio. The body is discovered by Antonio Andolini's wife Maria Constanzia. The widowed Michale is grief-stricken at his son's murder, but Maria Constanzia is inflamed by the murder of her father's brother. She beseeches both Antonio and Michale to avenge Frederico... "How will our sons live without honor?"

The scene changes to New York City, 1974. Michael Corleone is talking to a bedridden Tom Hagen. Hagen is haggard and drawn, obviously weak after a battle with cancer. They discuss Michael's plans to take the family 'legitimate,' and what has to be done with the already criminally-involved sons of Connie Corleone.

As they speak, a phone rings informing them that Victor Rizzi Corleone, 20, has been found dead of a drug overdose in Brooklyn. "We'll have to do something about his kid, Michael," Tom Hagen says in a whispery voice. "Santino will take him in," Michael says.
"Yeah, he will," says Hagen. "He acts like he's out of the family, but he's still in. That's what's best for the boy..."
"What about Mikey?" Michael Corleone asks. "He's in trouble too, Mike," Hagen responds. "It'll be all we can do to keep him out of jail. He's looking at hard time." He coughs and draws a raspy breath. "I can't make court anymore..."

"Have Harrison handle it," Michael Corleone responds, dismissively. "Harrison can't handle this one," Hagen says, wearily. "What can we do, then?" Michael asks. "We need a federal pardon," Hagen responds. "How do we get it?" Michael asks.

Hagen picks up the bedside phone and makes a call. "Get me the Vice President," he says...

The scene returns to 2003...Anthony Corleone talks to his cousin, Tino Corleone, about legal matters affecting the family. Segue to Lita Corleone visiting her aunt, Connie, in a prison hospital facility overlooking Ellis Island...

Don Michael Francis (Rizzi) Corleone looks out from his office window over New York City. From an office a floor below, Vincent Corleone stares out the window...

"You did good."