Michael hasn't achieved hero status like Vito had. This is the part of Vito's life we do not see. The rise of Vito between killing Fanucci and then Don Ciccio, and his rise to the level of power that 'The Godfather' takes him. Micheal has'nt lost his soul in part II, but he is afraid he might "lose his family" (conversation with his Mother). Godfather III only fails in the sense that Vito failed to integrate his power with everyone else. In the GF we come in as a witness to the price of power, crime power, patriarchal power that Micheal can only reclaim in a GF IV. GF I, II, III all end calling for a sequel, so many unresolved conflicts. It blows me away that people can't see the need for closure within the series. Robert DeNiro could get another excellent role in Part IV playing Vito as he builds from a neighbourhood boss to an international boss, running molasses into Canada with Roth etc... He could play some more of this 30's storyline integrated into flashbacks in my GF IV script http://www.thegodfathertrilogy.net/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=12;t=000090