why sadly?

with all the sequel hypes going on in movieland these years (I have called the new millenium the "Century of Sequels" before) people seem to forget that sequels usualy aren't as good as their originals.

there are some exceptions, yes. some sequels came close to their originals... Godfather 2... Batman Returns ... Home Alone 2 and I'll bet they didn't make all them Back to the Future/Star Wars/Indiana Jones/Rocky/Rambo/Lethal Weapon/Die Hard/James Bond sequels for nothing either, right?

with all the rumours (and confirmations even) of a Indiana Jones 4, Alien 5, Rocky 6, Halloween 15, Friday the 13th part 33, Die Hard 4, Star Wars a whole new trilogy, it seems to be a trend to relaunch movie franchises (new Superman and Batman series and even a Batman vs Superman film).

the 1969 classic "Easy Rider" is getting a sequel! some 1930's and 1940's movies are planning to be sequeled. that's not a remake, no, a SEQUEL!

and of course, The Godfather can't stay behind.

think of it, are you realy waiting for it to happen? a GF4? these movies weren't commercial tentpoles you know, the Godfather is not a cash cow you can squeeze until it's all dry and empty, like Die Hard 4, Lethal Weapon 5 and Indiana Jones 4 probably WILL satisfy. we're talking about realy Good movies here. Part III was on the edge, but already much less good as the first two. I guess a GF3 should have been made in 1978 or something to be satisfying enough (it probably would have had Robert Duvall in it)...

with all the sequels coming up, we might think we're going to be treated a lot the next years, but those movies are either commercial projects or going to be dissapointing.

Forrest Gump 2, Gladiator 2.... look what happened to Silence of the Lambs! now that movie still rocks. it wasn't a series before Hannibal and Red Dragon. Those two movies made a fortune for the studio, but what did it contribute to original film in quality terms of speaking? you think the members of the "Hannibal Lecter Bulletin Board" are as happy with the sequel and prequel as they were with Silence?

I think WE, the true fans, are better off without any new Godfather movie. no GF4, no GF5 no GF6... no David Chase, no Nicholas Pileggi, no Martin Scorsese... no Sofia Coppola, no Andy Garcia. we already have a brilliant trilogy. let them please keep it that way.