Well, here's a story about the "traditional" vs. "new" Mafia from today's NYTimes:
Story covers yet another :rolleyes: Bonanno Family trial triggered by informants. On trial is the "old Mafia" guy, Baldassare Amato, 54, born in Castellemmare del Golfo, Sicily--a stone killer described by the Times as "hard-eyed." One witness, after experiencing one of Amato's stares, stated: "I ain't testifyin'." Amato sits "impassively" next to his lawyer, "saying little."

Contrast him to "new Mafia" guy Anthony Basile, 36, one of the defendants. Here's how the Times portrayed him:

But it was Mr. Basile's case that seemed to present the most stunning departure from the old-world Mafia mores. His lawyer, Ms. Laser, sought to portray him in her opening statement as a young man swept away by the romance of the gangsters he saw in his Bensonhurst neighborhood, men with money, cars, women and respect. As a result, she said, he made a mistake and associated with the wrong people.

Perhaps because she did not want the jury to confuse her client with a tough guy, let alone a killer, she painted a picture of him that must have rankled the traditional Mr. Amato.

"He is terrified," she told the jury, "that he finds himself in this enormous, intimidating courtroom with all of these lawyers, with these F.B.I. agents, with the court and, of course, all of you, judging him, as he sits here, fighting for his life, for what will be for him the rest of his life."

Ntra la porta tua lu sangu � sparsu,
E nun me mporta si ce muoru accisu...
E s'iddu muoru e vaju mparadisu
Si nun ce truovo a ttia, mancu ce trasu.