We knew this day was coming since Paul was diagnosed with (incurable) cancer back in early March, 2005. Even with a year and a half in which to prepare for the finality of Paul's death it is hard to bear now.

Watching the slow deterioration of someone you love is hard to do. I suspect it was a lot harder for him to see it happening to himself. He never let it get the better of him, though, and he stoically went through painful treatments holding out some sort of hope that they'd help. It was one of the bravest acts I've ever seen.

He enriched ALL of us here with his knowledge, his stylish writing and his sense of humor. He loved to good-naturedly get on somebody's case in the sports discussions and welcomed debates to his opinions (many times playing devil's advocate to stir up a discussion). My favorite writings of his on these boards, though, were the annual year-end poems he'd write. I called him the poet-laureate of the boards for this reason.

I'll share one memory: a few months after he and his partner, Vickie, had an argument I stirred up the hornet's nest for a few laughs. We were sitting around his dining room table (Paul, Vickie, Geoff, Lori and myself) and I reminded them that Vickie threw his wipes off their balcony (during the fight). Seeing (in my mind) this package of wipes sailing down from the 9th floor made me laugh and I berated Vickie for it. I'm not sure she ever forgave me for that but seeing Paul laughing hysterically over the description of it made it all worthwhile.

My thoughts are with his partner, Vickie, and his son, Steve now. Poor Steve lost both his grandfathers (within one day) and now, three months later, his father. Say a prayer for them.

Paul's last words to me were, "I love you". I told him I loved him, too. That eases the thought of never seeing him again but I know I'll miss him dearly.

R.I.P. Paulie Boy.

(I couldn't help but notice that I logged onto the boards to read this thread at 3:28... that was Paul's birthday).