I just read this news, which pertains to one of the most hotly contested senate races in the country right now. Harold Ford, the democrat candidate for the post being vacated by Bill Frist, has just launched a new ad for his campaign. It's location? A church. An interesting choice no doubt, but doesn't this violate the seperation of church and state? I'm curious to hear what others here think of this ad. The church has, I think, quite clearly violated IRS regulations regarding its tax-exempt status, due to this rule:

"IRS rules forbid tax-exempt churches from participating or intervening in any political campaign on behalf of (or in opposition to) any candidate for public office. This includes the publishing or distribution of campaign literature, even if their pastor or a church member is running for office.

Churches may not: 1) allow any declared political candidate to use their building for any purpose other than a non-partisan candidates’ forum to which all candidates are invited."

Is the ad illegal? If so, what should the consequences be for the church and for Harold Ford?