Quote:
Originally posted by Sicilian Babe:
DC, this is where we disagree. I think that the President's campaign against Iraq came from a personal vendetta, to finish up what his father didn't. Imagine if the first President Bush had actually listened to Schwarzkopf and given him the extra time he asked for, to finish the job properly?? I wonder what the future would've held.
Well I partially agree with you SB on the point about a personal vendetta. Only I don't believe that his personal vendetta was the deciding factor in his decision to go into Iraq. Yes, it may have played a small part in that his thinking was that he now had the opportunity to kill two birds with one stone. After all Saddam had taken a contract out on his father's life. And any human being would want revenge on someone who ordered the death of their father. Wouldn't you?

But I absolutely do NOT believe that it was the major deciding factor in our going into Iraq.

As for your statment about his father not listening to Norman Schwarzkopf, well you along with several others have made that assertion in the past. However I must remind you that when the gulf war took place, it was done WITH the approval of the United Nations and under the laws and the supervision of the United Nations. And had George Sr. wanted to assassinate Saddam at the time, he could not do so because he would have needed UN approval. And at that time of the Gulf War, the UN rules stated that Saddam was a UN recognized President of a country. Therefore under UN rules a nation cannot assassinate a president of a country that is recognized with the UN. Had Bush Senior ordered the killing of Saddam, he would have broken all UN rules and would have subject himself to being brought up on trial in a world court and charged with war crimes.

So it was out of father George's hands at the time.

Perhaps that is why President Bush Junior told the UN to see where they had to go when he petitioned them to take action against Saddam and they refused. He probably did not want to have his hands tied the way that his father did had the opportunity arose where he could have Saddam killed.

Don Cardi

Don Cardi cool

Five - ten years from now, they're gonna wish there was American Cosa Nostra. Five - ten years from now, they're gonna miss John Gotti.