Quote:
Originally posted by Irishman12:
...some (at least here on this boards other than myself I'm sure) can apprecaite aspects of the movies but may not be able to describe why we like it. Again, not all of us here on this board are trying to win "Review of the week"
No-one who's seen a movie has to be in the 'in-the-know' for all the technical terms and what not to describe why they like a film. If that was ever the case, you wouldn't see a lot of movies being released. Some people could say they like a film, and then mention one particular actor was good and leave it at that, and that's okay. And then others like to mention all the technical and artistic aspects they like or dislike using commen film-making terms, and judge it on it's own merits rather then their personal opinion, and then slap a three or four star rating on it and that's okay too. Much like how we've been discussing what other people think what art is in terms of film, it comes down to personal preference.

And as such, no-one can say either review method is better then the other, 'cause they're different, and they are both used by different people because it's what they are most comfortable with, find easiest or even enjoy. Personally, for me, as someone who seriously wants to get involved in film-making - having read so much and seen so much - I think it's impossible, and slightly ridiculous, to take a product of the very complex method of film-making and then put merely 3 stars or 4 stars on it, and find a way to fit it into 'My Favourite Movies' list. When it comes to me recommending films, it's firstly my personal tastes and what I enjoy most that comes to mind when I talk to people, be it Nightmare on Elm Street 3: The Dream Warriors or On the Waterfront, (which I've just watched). ... but that's my personal preference, and because I love the film medium so much and the debate it inspires, I'd never begrude anyone as to how they talk about it.

"Mr. Corleone is a man who insists on hearing bad news immediately..." wink