Quote:
Originally posted by Capo de La Cosa Nostra:
If we watch a film to escape our lives, why do we complain when a film is far-fetched?
Well this is where personal taste comes in. A hardcore action fan may not see a problem with the ridiculous xXx movies, but would probably be totally turned off by The Matrix trilogy, with it's various sci-fi ideas. And yet regarding the later, there are those who feel it's a stunning example of film-making, and contains deep philosphical ideas. Others might say it's all pretentious rubbish. ... again, personal taste.

Quote:
Why seek realism in a film when Film itself is a very artificial medium?
This is a moot point, because what you've just asked is the central idea of escapism, to suspend disbelief in a "very artificial medium".

Quote:
Why do critics tend to hold the 'serious' over the 'comic'?
Because the majority of them, or rather, the most well-known and recognised come across as stuffy, self-important individuals who merely wax lryically about the same films every year, and praise the same films as classics. (Example: Dracula, the Bela Lugosi version, is a cheaply made and sometimes tacky film - I refer to in terms of how it's made, not how good the film is itself - and yet it's recongised as a classic. Now, Friday the 13th has production values that can be dismissed as cheaply made and tacky, and yet it's universally derided by most 'serious' film fans).

Quote:
If a film makes us laugh, can it still address serious issues and provoke debates?
Do you mean if the film is a comedy? But again, here's personal taste coming in, what makes someone laugh, does it have to be a comedy film? For instance, I think Vincent bitting off Joey Zasa's ear in Part III is hilarious - others, perhaps more sensitive types, would be horrified by such an action, (in real life no doubt! But I mean in the film itself). And yet, even though it made me laugh, yes Part III does address serious issues.

Lost In Translation is funny, but also, I feel, works as a subtle commentary on inter-personal relationships in marriage and loneliness.

"Mr. Corleone is a man who insists on hearing bad news immediately..." wink