Quote:
Originally posted by Lavinia from Italy:
I'm not blaming kids for that, I'm blaming adults when they fail to have a guiding role and help kids and develop a taste for a deeper literature. This would be very important and rewarding in the long run.

Very true Lavs. Very true.

When my son started his fifth grade grade school year, we watched the movie "Renaissance Man" with Danny DeVito. I don't know if you are familiar with the movie. It's a story about a man (DeVito) who gets layed off from his job and eventually finds a job working for the United States Military as a teacher. To make a long story short, in the movie, he uses "Hamelet" to teach his military students. While the movie is a comedy, it also teaches several lessons in it's plot.

Well my son loved the movie and then decided that he wanted to read "Hamlet"!

Anyway several months later we were invited to his school to see a fifth grade opera that the students were putting on. Turns out that my son, wrote the whole opera himself, working with the Metropolitan Opera House, and at the end of the year received a special award upon graduation from 5th grade for his writing talents.

When he accepted his award he was asked what inspired him to write this opera for the school, and he told the story of how he watched the movie and from the movie was drawn to reading Hamlet, which inspired him to write the opera for the school.

So you never know.

Don Cardi

Don Cardi cool

Five - ten years from now, they're gonna wish there was American Cosa Nostra. Five - ten years from now, they're gonna miss John Gotti.