Quote:
Originally posted by Capo de La Cosa Nostra:
Lav, while I agree people should read "classics", I don't think it should be forced on them.
I don't like forcing either, yet it should be forced on kids. If you leave it to them, they would only read the trendy HPish stuff and never commit themselves to more demanding literature. Mind you, I'm not blaming kids for that, I'm blaming adults when they fail to have a guiding role and help kids and develop a taste for a deeper literature. This would be very important and rewarding in the long run.

Quote:
Reading, I think, is the goal;
I absolutely agree. Reading the HPish stuff is better than nothing, I presume....

Quote:
And, by the way, what did you teach? I never knew all this time that I had a crush on a teacher. :p
I taught Italian literature, History and Geography. With your outstanding writing ability, I bet you would have been the teacher's pet if you were in my class, Capo!

I don't want realism. I want magic! Yes, yes, magic. I try to give that to people. I do misrepresent things. I don't tell the truth. I tell what ought to be truth (Blanche/A streetcar named desire)