Quote:
Originally posted by SC:
FWIW - I agree that today's kids should try to read the "classics" to broaden their horizons, but looking down on one's nose at those who don't (read the "classics") is a little snooty.
As an ex teacher, I think I've got enough "on ground" experience in this field. Well, I can honestly say the ignorance level in younger generations is going to be more and more alarming. We are facing a true "rebound illiteracy". TV, computer and other media have reduced the reading time and room to a minimum and school cannot cope it. This is scary. I'm sorry if I sound snobbish (I think I am anyway ), but I believe kids (and young adults and adults and everyone) ought to read the classics to develop a stronger cultural background. Parents should urge kids to read good books in order to trigger and support the reading interest. Reading the harrypotterish stuff doesn't do any harm, of course. But this kind of literature should be just an addition IMO. If people grow up without reading the classics, without a real cultural backbone, they are going to realize sooner or later how illiterate they are. This is the better hypothesis, of course. The worse one is they are NOT going to realize it.

I don't want realism. I want magic! Yes, yes, magic. I try to give that to people. I do misrepresent things. I don't tell the truth. I tell what ought to be truth (Blanche/A streetcar named desire)