I was about to post a list of masterpieces and other great films based on books, but it seems Bogey already beat me to it. I looked over the list, which has most, though a few were missing. If you'll allow me to twist your knife, Bogey?

Le Samourai (Jean-Pierre Melville), the best suspense/crime film ever, based on "The Ronin."
Short Cuts (Robert Altman), one of the five best dramas ever, based on "Short Cuts."
Once Upon a Time in America (Sergio Leone), one of the ten greatest films ever, based on "The Hoods."
Raging Bull (Martin Scorsese), one of the best character studies, based on "Raging Bull."
Vertigo (Alfred Hitchcock), Hitchcock's masterpiece, based on "d'Entre les Morts"
The Birds (Alfrd Hitchcock), based on "The Birds."
Strangers on a Train (Alfred Hitchcock), based on "Strangers on a Train."
Plein soleil (René Clément), based on "The Talented Mr. Ripley."

And there are definitely many more I forgot.

Quote:
Without "Pearl Harbour" (Dir. Michael Bay 2001) we would have no real understanding of what World War II was about.
Actually, Pearl Harbor was complete bullshit from a hack filmmaker. A token tragedy in the influence of Titanic to make money, though that's just IMO.

Proud Member of the Gangster BB Bratpack - Fighting Elitism and Ignorance Since 2006