LATE NIGHT WITH THE DEVIL

Halloween Night, 1977, New York City: late night host Jack Delroy (David Dastmalchian) invites a sordid group of guests onto the show in order to boost his sinking ratings. The featured guests are a psychic, a skeptical former magician, a parapsychologist author and her subject. The film plays out as an unearthed, original recording of the show, with the commercial breaks taking the audience backstage to see what transpired during breaks. I was rather impressed with Dastmalchian as he's usually a supporting actor but really finds his stride as the likeable host who's doing battle with Johnny Carson for viewership. In addition, he's recently experienced tragedy himself, having lost his wife and this show seems to be the last thing keeping him going. I hope he continues to find leading work as again, he's impressive in this. Also, this was my first introduction to Carmichael Haig who hams it up as the skeptical former magician, critiquing all of the guests gifts as nothing more than mere parlor tricks, the consummate cynic. He's enjoyable with his over-the-top, know-it-all attitude. I had heard good things about this and I enjoyed it more than I thought I would. I've never liked anything put out by Shudder but this is easily the best they've released IMO. 6.5/10