THE MINISTRY OF UNGENTLEMANLY WARFARE

Based upon the true story of the first, and what later became known as Black Ops missions, a group of 7 (primarily British with a Swed added) attempt to sink Nazi U-boats in Nazi controlled waters in an effort to allow resources to enter Great Britain via the Atlantic Ocean. Henry Cavill stars as the teams leader Gus March-Phillips, who rumor has it was an inspiration for the James Bond character that Ian Fleming would write soon after (Fleming is actually a real character is this film BTW). Cavill comes across as much more looney and unhinged in the trailer but those are only passing moments throughout the film. He's much more polished than what's advertised. And while I have nothing against the cast as they were all enjoyable, I am going to call out both the casting director as well as director Guy Ritchie. This film is based on true events and pictures of the real life people whom these actors are playing are featured during the closing credits. As such, I find it to be a great disservice to them, their memory, and their families that some have been DEI-washed in order to gain brownie points within a small sector of society. If this story wasn't based on real events I wouldn't have such an issue with it. But again, for the fact it's based upon real people and their real experiences, it's shameful. If the shoe were on the other foot where white actors were taking minority roles, people would be yelling "whitewashing." Well, allow me to hold them to the same standard. I like Guy Ritchie and even though some of his latest efforts have been a little more uneven in terms of quality (this being boringly average), he should have known better and done a better job at preserving the memory of these individuals who risked capture by the British and torture and death by the Nazis. Be better Guy Ritchie! 5.5/10